Headquartered in Irvine, California, VIZIO, Inc., America’s #1 HDTV company, started out as a consultancy firm in October 2002 with two employees. They helped Gateway launch the $2999 plasma TV, the first flat panel to break the $3k price barrier. Seeing an opportunity to market high performance flat panels with greater efficiency at a lower cost, combined with the U.S. digital TV mandate, William Wang, CEO/CTO of VIZIO, Inc. launched the V, Inc. brand in October 2002. In 2006, the name was changed to VIZIO and the company quickly became one of the most recognizable TV brands in North America.
During 2003, they released their first TV, the P4, which was a 46” Plasma EDTV. The other two products were a rear projection DLP TV and the Bravo D1, the first scaling DVD Player with a direct digital DVI connection. All three models proved that the new V, Inc. brand could come out with high performance models at modest prices.
Employing a unique business model from the beginning, VIZIO worked closely with retail partners to open up distribution in Costco and Sam’s Club. Customers immediately saw the amazing value offered by VIZIO, which in turn built consumer confidence in the new brand.
The P42, a 42-inch plasma monitor was the company’s first success story followed by the P50, a 50-inch plasma with an ATSC Tuner, 10,000:1 contrast ratio and Faroudja’s deinterlacing technology. In 2003, VIZIO began manufacturing its L-Series (LCD TVs) and the first model was the L6, a 20” ultra-thin flat panel display. Today, VIZIO offers a wide array of LCD’s from 20” to 52” with their 32” and 37” LCD’s being America’s most popular TVs. The Gallevia, VX and VW series of LCDs followed in 2006 and early 2007 and the brand added retailers such as Walmart, Sears, Kmart, BJ’s Wholesale and Circuit City with full assortments of plasma and LCD HDTVs. In January of 2008 at CES, VIZIO announced 30 new televisions including its new Black Tie, Evolution, Envy and VW lines of LCD TVs and seven new plasma TVs.
In March 2007 VIZIO moved to Irvine, CA having outgrown its facility in Costa Mesa. Home to 85 employees, the new building is significantly larger with an expanded customer service, engineering and design center. In their first year of business they grossed $2 million dollars, which was outstanding for a new brand of TVs with no track record. The sales for 2007 were $1.69 Billion representing the sale of close to 3 million units. 2008 sales will net the brand over $2 billion with unit sales of approx. 3.6 million.
At CES 2009 the brand announced some 40 TVs, has added AV products such as Sound Bars and Blu-ray players plus a line a accessories for their TVs. Looking forward to the next evolution of the TV, VIZIO announced their wireless Internet Connected HDTV with the industry’s broadest mix of content partners including; Netflix, Blockbuster, Yahoo Widgets, Rhapsody music and Flickr photos to name a few. VIZIO’s high performance XVT line TVs with wireless connection to their platform will begin appearing in the fall of 2009.
Keeping in line with the brand vision and their commitment to the environment, VIZIO announced TVs from 19” to 42” under their EcoHD series that exceed Energy Star 3.0 requirements by up to 25%.
VIZIO’s mission was, and is, to employ the most rigorous and efficient manufacturing practices that produce high performance products at a significant savings. By passing on those savings to the end user, VIZIO has developed a loyal following and industry-wide praise along the way. In fact, the consumer electronics industry recognizes VIZIO HDTV’s for their extraordinary performance and value, which has lead to two prestigious design awards from IF International and Red Dot.
The brand has also won numerous awards from leading publications including Good Housekeeping's Best Big-Screens, CNET's Top 10 Holiday Gifts, PC World's Best Buy, Sound & Vision's Editors Choice, Home Theater Magazine's Rave Award, PC Magazine's Editors Choice, AVRev.com's #1 Product We Love the Best and The Perfect Vision's Products of the Year. For 2007 and 2008, VIZIO has won the #1 Ranking in the Inc. 500 for Top Companies in Computers and Electronics for the 2nd consecutive year, Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative CE Companies for 2008 and 2009, Ad Age’s Hottest Brands, along with Walmart’s Supplier of the Year awards.
In August of 2007, iSuppli and DisplaySearch reported that in Q2 of 2007, VIZIO topped all other manufacturers as the #1 selling brand of flat panel TVs in the U.S. By continuing the successful philosophy that has gotten them to this point, VIZIO will further expand their market share and will strive to improve customer service that is arguably one of the best in the industry today. Continuing this success the brand was the 2nd leading brand of HDTV s in the U.S. in the 4th quarter of 2008 and the #1 brand of LCD TVs in the U.S in the 2nd and 4th quarters of 2009. These leading quarters help yield a 92% year over year unit growth and made VIZIO the #1 brand of LCD HDTVs for annual 2009. iSuppli Research’s Riddhi Patel noted the advances the company has made in brand and product leadership, "VIZIO emerged as the #1 brand in 2009 for the U.S. LCD TV market, up from #3 in 2008 with the highest growth of 92% year on year. This growth is attributed to increased brand recognition and acceptance by consumers for providing technology advancements at affordable prices."
VIZIO Founder and CEO
William Wang, VIZIO, Inc. Founder and CEO
DOB – 12/16/1963
Born In – Taipei, Taiwan
Moved to Hawaii, USA at 12 years
Moved to Huntington Beach, CA at 14 years
Wife – Sakura Wang
Daughter - Celine
Higher education – Graduate of USC in Electrical Engineering
• Founded October 2002 as V, Inc. in Fountain Valley, CA by William Wang and Co-founders Laynie Newsome and Ken Lowe
• Retained by Gateway to devise their consumer electronics television products for their Country Stores
• Gateway ships 42” plasma $3499 SRP (Philips 42” was $13,000) Fall 2002
• Employees: 3
• Launch event at CES in January 2003 with L6 20” LCD, 46” Plasma, 56” Rear Projection TV, and Bravo D1 Upscaling DVD Player
• February mass production begins for VIZIO P4
• March 2003 shipped P4 to Costco
• NY Times, David Poque reports on V, Inc. P4 and Gateway 42” Plasmas
• September 2003 L6 20” LCD ships
• Displays new line at CEDIA September 2003
• Mark Mayer joins for customer support becomes employee #4
• Employees: 5
• Moved from Fountain Valley to Costa Mesa, CA March 2004
• Bravo D1 wins Sound & Vision Editor’s Choice and Official Xbox Magazine awards among others
• Bravo D2 launched in May 2004
• VIZIO line of plasma and LCDs ship from V, Inc.
• April 2004 shipped RP56 rear projection TV to Costco
• P42HDe 42” Plasma breaks $2000 price barrier during Holidays 2004
• Employees: 25
• VIZIO P50HDM ranked in CNET's 2005 Top Ten Holiday Tech Gifts, just behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Apple's new iPod
• Jeff Schindler launches the V, Inc. Digital Cameras at CES
• P42HD plasma and P50HDM with DCDi processing Plasma launched along with 30” and 32” LCD TVs
• P42 Plasma Monitor wins several awards including The Perfect Vision’s Editor’s Choice
• VIZIO brand name appears on LCD and Plasma TVs
• Sam’s Club added as retail partner
• VIZIO Black Friday P50HDM $2,499.99, L37HDTV $1,499.99 and L32HDTV $899 break previous sales records at Sam’s Clubs and Costco
• P50HDM Wins Dave Graveline’s Top 10 Products
• P42HD Wins The Perfect Vision 2005 Editors’ Choice Awards
• Employees: 32
• Launches L32HDTV, P42HDTV named CNET’s Best of CES Finalists
• Expands distribution to Sears, Kmart, BJ’s Wholesale and Circuit City
• March 2006 P42HDTV Wins Sound & Vision Recommends Award
• VX and Premium Gallevia LCD lines introduced
• Aggressive promotional plans for March Madness, Father’s Day and Black Friday
• P50HDM wins PC Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award
• L32HDTV wins PC World Top 32-inch LCDs
• VIZIO P42HDTV wins Good Housekeeping Award
• P42HDTV Wins PC World Best Buy Award
• P42HDTV Wins Kiplinger’s Finance Best Award
• Employees: 53
• Revenue: $671 million
• Expands Gallevia line to 47 1080p and HD 46 and 42” models
• VM60P Launched at CES and wins CNET Best of CES Finalist
• Wal-mart stores added
• March 2007 moves headquarters to Irvine, CA
• 42” Plasma breaks $1000 price barrier
• 85 Employees total
• 2nd Quarter 2007 VIZIO becomes the #1 Brand of HDTVs in the USA
• September 2007 Inc. 500 Names VIZIO the #1 Fastest Growing Computer and Electronics Brand
• William Wang named OCBJ’s Entrepreneur of the Year
• Signs endorsement deal with NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson
• VIZIO launches Top Value Performer (TVP) program, recognizing professional football players who have performed above and beyond expectations, with a groundbreaking award; Jacksonville’s David Garrard wins inaugural VIZIO TVP Award
• 75 employees
• VIZIO announces 30 new TVs at CES including Black Tie (SV), Evolution, Envy and VW lines of LCD TVs and seven new plasma TVs.
• CES 2008 Best of CES for the 60” VIZIO Plasma
• Walmart names VIZIO Supplier of the Year
• VP505XVT wins numerous awards and rave reviews
• September 2008 Inc. 500 Names VIZIO the #1 Fastest Growing Computer and Electronics Brand for the second consecutive year
• VIZIO Official HDTV of the Summer Olympics
• New England’s Matt Cassel wins inaugural VIZIO TVP Award
• 118 employees
• CES 2009 the brand announced some 40 TVs including EcoHD, E, M and XVT lines of TVs
• CES 2009 Best of CES finalist for the XVT 55” TruLED
• Adds Accessory products including Sound Bars, Cables, Mounts, Blu-ray Players
• September 2009 at over $2 billion - Named Largest in Revenue of the Inc. 500
• November 2009 Named one of Advertising Age’s Hottest Brands
• April 2009 VIZIO.com Direct opens in N. Sioux City, South Dakota hosted by William Wang, Laynie Newsome, Rob Brinkman, Ted Waitt and Dave Russell investors with SD Governor Mike Rounds and Major Don Fuxa cutting the ribbon
• June 2009 Announces VF552/472/422XVT VIZIO (VIA) Internet Apps Connected Platform and HDTVs – all three shipped in December
• November VIZIO Reaches 12 Millionth TV Household
• Named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2009
• New York Giant’s Steve Smith wins VIZIO TVP Top Value Performer Award
• 162 employees total (23 South Dakota)
• As CEA member, VIZIO’s first CES booth promoted their Internet Apps Connected HDTVs and key platform partners Yahoo!, Twitter, vudu, & Facebook
• The year of VIZIO’s “Beyond TV” - 2010 CES announcements included eleven categories in addition to TVs - High Definition Blu-ray DVD Players, wireless Internet routers and Internet apps enabled entertainment systems, HD home theater sound, HD Personal Home Theater headphones, and portable razor thin LED LCD HDTVs.
• With 50 TVs including new XVT Pro series for custom installers and specialty retailers, XVT, M and E lines of TVs, VIZIO offers models for every room in the house and every type of buyer. 35 of these 50 new TVs utilize LED backlighting.
• Signs 3 year endorsement deal with music and film star Beyonce´ Knowles-Carter days before she wins a record setting 6 Grammy Awards
• “Forge” Super Bowl Spot featuring Beyonce´ and integrated communications yield nearly 1 billion impressions
• Buffalo Bills Stevie Johnson wins VIZIO TVP Top Value Performer Award
• 196 employees total (includes 76 South Dakota and 3 international)
• Wins CNET Green Pick for the XVT3D650SV (Note please insert Green Logo on monitor front per our discussion)
• VIZIO launches first sub $300 Android-based tablet
• VIZIO brings the 3D movie theater experience home with the award-winning 65” Theater 3D HDTV
• Expands Theater 3D to include sizes 32” to 65” TVs
• New York Giants Victor Cruz wins VIZIO TVP Top Value Performer Award
• Wins CNET Best of CES 2011 for the XVT3D6SP
• VIZIO announces full lineup of personal computers at CES
• Popular Mechanics awards Best in Show to Thin + Light notebooks at CES 2012
• VIZIO receives J.D. Power and Associates “Highest in Customer Satisfaction” with HDTVs award
• Seattle’s Russell Wilson wins VIZIO TVP Top Value Performer Award
VIZIO’s® vision is to be the industry leader in consumer electronics by consistently delivering the latest technologies at the most affordable price.
Where vision meets value™
VIZIO® understands the consumer electronics market and designs products customers desire.
VIZIO® selects the right technologies, brings the best to market, and delivers them at a price everyone can afford.
Visionary Business Model
VIZIO® lowers cost and increases efficiency by creating and orchestrating mutually desirable global partnerships.
Believe in the Vision
VIZIO® was founded on Faith, a belief that it can become the leader in consumer electronics. The VIZIO® team embodies the Vision and the Passion necessary to consistently deliver the latest technology at the most affordable prices.
Create Value for our Customers
Success is dependent on VIZIO’s® ability to do things faster and more efficiently with fewer people than the competition. VIZIO’s® team achieves Success by giving All they have each and every day!
Show Respect toward our Partners
VIZIO® achieves its goals by creating synergistic partnerships with its suppliers and customers. VIZIO® Honors and Respects its partnerships daily and continually seeks new ways to Collaborate.
Lead through Teamwork
Being the industry leader requires both individual leadership and collaborative teamwork. VIZIO® team members lead by example and work together as a Team to achieve the company’s goals.